Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Triple Head Setup, part II

At the start of the year I was wondering if I could buy just one monitor and have a triple head setup with it. In the end it was just easiest/cheapest to buy two new 1920x1200 monitors. Other one of the old 1280x1024 monitors went to use but other one was still standing on the corner of my desk. I though that it could run another X server and work as view only screen for some plasma applets and perhaps for occasional TV. I grabbed some left over wood and metal plate and did myself a 0€ monitor stand and so I ended having triple head setup after all.


8 Comments:

Blogger saLOUt said...

think on co2 emissions - maybe two-head is enough?

22:03  
Blogger Unknown said...

Do you still have composite and RandR enabled with a xinerama like desktop?
What is your combination of hardware/driver?

My triple-head xinerama configuration (two G96 cards with nvidia proprietary drivers)
inhibits composite and RandR. No way for them, just curious to find someone who got the whole thing working.

03:15  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok, just noticed this is part II.
After taking a look at part I, I found that I'm already doing my best.
Actually I'm using no xinerama to be able to use composite. Anyway I'm quite sure that nvidia RandR implementation doesn't support display rotation. It's really a pity.

06:13  
Blogger michkhoo said...

just wandered which monitor is your central.. probably none..:)


to improve your workstation i suggest reading these tips

11:38  
Blogger Petri Damstén said...

Yes, there is no central monitor. All the work is done in two bottom monitors. Top monitor is only for plasmoids, tv etc. (Mouse does not go there).

11:53  
Blogger Unknown said...

@Francesco: The only way I know to do this is to use xserver-xgl over an xorg session.

I've done it and it does work for the most part.

All the deets are available via:

http://mugginix.com/articles/2009/Nov/12/Xinerama_Composite_Fail/

11:54  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(scuse if it success, it's a test)

02:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home